March 4

in the Month of St. Joseph

Saint Casimir of Poland (1483).

He was the son of a king of Poland, and a most saintly prince. He refused the crown of Hungary, and died when he was only twenty-four years old, of tuberculosis. His great love was for the virginal Mother of God. The only royalty he desired was to be her son. He recited every day on his knees Saint Anselm's lovely hymn, "Daily, daily sing to Mary" (Omni die dic Mariae). He asked that this hymn be buried with him in his grave. One hundred and twenty years after his death, Saint Casimir's body was found incorrupt, thanks to the protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the little hymn he kept beside him.